Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Dear Emma

Dear Emma,

Thank you so much for dropping a line. If you also have a blog please forward me it's link, I'd love to read it and link it to mine. I guess you are doing fine... I'm responding to your comment not on a personal level nor is it meant to hit your fine country, our neighbour, Indonesia. This is just a part of the debate which I'm looking forward to continuing.

Anyhoo,

I do appreciate on the imput on some facts on the Indonesian market. You do realize that the Indonesian population is some 228 million people, which is roughly almost 10 times more then the estimated 27.5 million people. Therefore, I'd like you to analize the ratio of sales to the "market".

Of course everywhere will be talking about the volume of record sales but here, as we are speaking on local support, let us analyze on how many locals are really supporting the industry.
Even with Peter Pan's record of 3 million copies sold in Indonesia, it's actualy about only one in a million who is buying.

Their "rezeki" on being blessed with good looks or brilliant minds and making money out of it was never at question in the first place. Lets say if they had to rely solely on the music, how would they survive? I take back what I said on the reliability of the Indonesian bands on Malaysia to make them rich. My apologies there. I now agree Malaysia on it's own doesn't put food on the plate for the Indonesian bands, I'm not even questioning the Malaysian devotion towards Indonesian bands. I'm only asking my fellow Malaysians to look and love what we have.

Emma,

How would you feel if your local telco (in our case MAXIS) sponsors a stadium, theme park concert for foreign acts? Indonesian acts included...when on the other side we are struggling to get sponsors, permits, running into trouble with the cops, venues(always some hall or club) for our bands-established and upcoming to perform. Amy Search performed in Limkokwing, Butterfingers performing in Ruums soon.

Thanks Fly Fm for having the Campur Chart, but you could have banged the one year anniversary in a stadium or make it feel real Ozzfest, Woodstock like. Maybe next year...i hope!

Thanx Emma...hoping to hear from you soon.




p.s. Emma was kind enough to leave a comment clarifying some facts on my previous post Local Scene Blues

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Darian, I'm flattered that you wrote a blog just to response my comment. Anyway, like I said before I agree with your points, the one that I don't agree abt I have explained in details.

Three million copies of album selling is indeed big. But that's the original copies, if you count the pirated ones it could be twice or triple that amount. For example, the biggest selling religious album by Haddad Alwi and Sulis, I heard the original album was sold around 1,2 million copies, but I heard the pirated ones was sold around 3 million copies. Some of us are too poor to buy the original album. But again, like I said, that's also the reason they can't rely on album selling.

Once Gigi did a concert in one city, they sang a song from their album that's not even being released yet, and the audience already sang along with Armand. They know all the lyrics. Apparently the pirated ones were already in the market.Of course I don't agree with piracy. But on the positive side, without this piracy, the poor people might not have full access to the CD, and the songs might not be so popular and the bands might not get so many invitations and sponsors for gigs. Now, you see we also have complicated situation here.

Now, abt Malaysia music scene, from your blog (and many other blogs I read) it's apparent the lack of local support for the industry. But I'm sure there are a lot of idealist people like you.I can see that Malaysia has many talented singers, but apparently not too many composers.

In Indonesia, we have some idealist radio stations who give chances to amateur composers, bands and singers to show off their skills in regular competition. Prambors radio for example,they have program called new buzz, where people can send and show off their demo CD (the song sung and composed by themselves). Then the audience will vote their favorite songs/bands. The ones get most votes will be made ringback tone, and through this opportunity they expose their talents to music producers.

I don't know whether you have this kind of program in Malaysia. But I think it's a brilliant idea, not only it gives chances to real talent to shine, but it also raise awareness to the local audience how big talent pool that they haven't realised and explored yet. Once the local start to have this awareness, they will start to love their own music scene and I'm sure by that time, the sponsors will come easily.

On the woodstock kind of festival, every year we have soundrenalin or A Mild Rising Star. Tours of various biggest and new rising bands in the country. It's a feast music lover wouldn't miss. We also have Jakjazz festival. To start these events into this big, needed a lot of sacrifice and idealism in the first place, thanks God we have those people who can provide us with those two important components. I hope someday Malaysia also have those kinds of people.

P.S. I don't have blog on my own, just love to leave comments here and there.

Darian Henry said...

emma,

thanx again..
i really don mean 2 put 2 countries at loggerheads but i'm just comparing de support..

we have competitions..but trust me..it'll turn out into the mockery of Akademi Fantasia..

i think u should collect ur comments and start a compilation of comments..i'll enjoy reading it..

till we meet in ur blog..hope 2 c u in mine..

take care
darian